Earlier in the week I shared one of my favorite vegetable soups, Roasted Red Bell Pepper-Tomato Soup. I always like to prepare a few light and nutritious soups that are both dairy free and vegetarian for my family to share while recovering from Thanksgiving. Our other favorite soup this time of year is Butternut Squash-Apple Soup.
Butternut Squash-Apple Soup like Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup depends for its creamy texture on the immersion blender, and is just as easy to make.
I recommend butternut squash over other varieties because it has a big flesh-to-seed ratio and the flesh is not as fibrous as some winter squashes.
Make short work of peeling and cutting the hard-shelled squash by piercing it in several places with a knife and microwaving it for 20 minutes.
The butternut squash soup benefits from a dollop of nondairy whipped topping or whipped cream dusted with cinnamon or drizzled with honey.
- 1 (three-pound) butternut squash (or 2 small to equal 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium to large onion, preferably a sweet variety, chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Nondairy whipped topping, for garnish
- Cinnamon and honey, as needed, for garnish
- Pierce squash skin in several places with the tip of a knife. Place squash on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in an 8-quart heavy pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and apples, decrease heat, and cover to sweat but not brown.
- As soon as squash is cool enough to handle, cut off stem and discard. Halve squash, remove seeds and discard. Peel squash and chop flesh coarsely. Add to pot with onions and apples.
- Add water, cinnamon stick, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease heat to low, cover and simmer steadily for 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Ladle into large bowls and garnish with nondairy whipped topping, whipped cream, nondairy (soy) sour cream, or dairy sour cream sprinkled lightly with cinnamon or drizzled with honey.
Powered by Facebook Comments