I get bored with leftovers from any big holiday meal, for instance, the one we just ate: Thanksgiving. It’s not that I am bored with the food or the flavors; I am bored with the same old preparations. So this year, in addition to turkey soup based on a rich stock made by long-simmering of the cooked turkey carcass with lots of meat on the bones, turkey scraps from carving, an onion and a couple carrots, I decided to turn other leftovers into Turkey Pot Pie.
The ingredients were at hand: leftover cooked green peas, leftover baby carrots from the appetizers, leftover mashed potatoes (I made extra on purpose) and leftover turkey. The turkey stock was also at the ready.
You can make this a large potpie, as I did for family and friends, or you can portion the turkey mixture into 1-cup individual serving size containers and freeze it. Defrost it as needed, transfer to an oven-safe ramekin, and top it with any gluten-free crust of choice (gf biscuit mix, mashed potatoes, or savory streusel) and bake.
- For the pot pie mixture:
- 4 tablespoons butter or nondairy alternative
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 quart rich turkey stock made from turkey carcass
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed
- 4 cups diced leftover turkey meat
- 2 cups leftover green peas or defrosted frozen green peas
- 1 cup diced leftover uncooked baby carrots
- For the potato crust:
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Turkey stock, as needed
- In a 3 1/2-quart pot over medium heat, melt the butter. When butter foams, add the flour and stir to mix well. Cook, stirring, until the flour is cooked through and fluffy.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add all the turkey stock and stir, using a whisk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until the stock is thick and smooth. Taste for salt and add, along with pepper, as needed.
- Fold in the turkey, peas and carrots. Transfer mixture to a 4-quart casserole that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve and let cool.
- To make the crust: Warm mashed potatoes to soften either covered, in the microwave, or in a double boiler. Transfer the warmed, not hot, potatoes to a large bowl. Beat in the eggs and cheese until smooth. Then add as much turkey stock as needed to make the potatoes easy to spread.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Top the reserved turkey casserole with the mashed potato mixture, spreading as smoothly as possible.
- Bake until the potpie is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 45 to 60 minutes.
Powered by Facebook Comments